Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bone Marrow Donor

Hi all,

So here is the latest of what's been going on in the cancer world. I just spend five days at primary childrens hospital for my latest round of chemo. I am home now and don't have to return until October 22. I am way excited about that.

During my stay at the hospital my mom Bari, my mother- in-law Karen, Kade and I met with the bone marrow team. PEOPLE WE HAVE FOUND A MATCH! My brother Andrew is the one. The problem, he's living in Costa Rica serving a mission for the LDS church.

We are working with the church to get him flown up here for the procedure and then to let him finish his mission. We are unsure when the bone marrow transplant will take place, but it could be as early as November or as late as December (we think.)

The meeting was left me feeling optimistic and I feel really good about the decision to proceed with the bone marrow. I'm a little worried about the radiation, but that comes from being a dental hygiene major and seeing all those horrible pictures during my first year. -See I was paying attention in school. It's worth all the money :)-

Well, that's all that's going on right now. I feel good and am enjoying my time at home. I don't have as much energy as I normally do, but that can be expected. Kade takes me for walks and makes sure that I get out of the house enough. I just love him.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found a match! Was andrew the match the first time? I hope everything goes ok! I want to see you soon! Call me! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brette! I'm so glad you found a match! And I'm so happy to hear you're doing well! We've been missing you at school and everyone will be happy to hear everything is going well. And I'm glad you're getting out of the house, I was worried about you being stuck in there for so long :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brette that's awesome about your brother being a match. It sounds like you are doing well and you are always so upbeat! I miss seeing your smiling face around here! Keep us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! That is truly wonderful news...just know the Whitworth family is pulling (and praying) for you!
    lots of love!
    Kathy Whitworth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brette you married such a sweetie! I am glad he takes you on walks and treats you so well. Congrats on finding a match!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the match Brette! So exciting! :) We are keeping you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete